Return of the Mac Burger
- 2 fillets of mackerel, sliced in half
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- Pinch of sea salt and cracked black pepper
- Small handful of spring greens
- 2 tbsp garlic mayo
- 2 burger buns
- For the chilli pickles
- 1 carrot, finely sliced
- 1 tsp capers
- ½ red onion, finely sliced
- ½ tsp chilli flakes
- 70ml white wine vinegar
- 30g sugar
- 30ml boiling water
- Pickle your carrots, capers and onion with a hot solution of spiced vinegar, water and dissolved sugar. Allow to soften in the hot pickle for 10-15 mins and then drain.
- Char your spring greens for 3-4 mins in a dry pan and then once wilted toss with a little oil, salt and lemon to season.
- Season your mackerel fillets with salt and pepper and heat a little oil to fry in a non-stick pan. Place the fish into the hot pan skin side down first. Allow to cook for 3 mins and then turn over to cook the flesh side of the fillet.
- Toast your burger buns and spread the base with garlic mayo. Then position your cooked mackerel topped with pickles and spring greens. Serve with chips and extra pickles.